Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hampton



So I have a kitty, his name is Hampton, we call him Hammy for short. Caleb is not the biggest fan of cats, and he is allergic. I love cats, and had one all growing up, but I get really attached to them.

About 2 years after we were married I started teasing Caleb about getting a kitty and how happy we would all be together. As we read our scriptures at night I would open the book and read to Caleb how the Lord desired for us to get a kitty, and we would live happily ever after. I would sing to the radio and the lyrics would magically turn to how Caleb would get me a cat and we would be happy. I think the best I came up with was to the tune of The Lion Sleeps Tonight and it went something like "in the child house, the peaceful child house they need a cat tonight" and the chorus went "get a kitty get a kitty get a kitty..." you get the point. So on Halloween 2008, the doorbell rang and I, expecting trick or treaters went to the door. In a plastic orange pumpkin on my porch was a little black poofy kitty. My heart just warmed right up... I turned around and there was the allergic cat-hater Caleb. I said "what were you thinking" he replied "I don't know!"

Apparently he told someone he was thinking of getting me a kitty for me for Christmas around mid-october, and they called him a week later and said "we have your kitty, come get him." So that is how Hammy entered our lives. Strangely enough, I have learned much about myself with this cat, and you know what, I think it has been a good thing. I have found I will be a much more paranoid parent than I ever thought, and that my children will probably get away with much more than I would imagine I would tolerate. So there is Hammy, just like any cat, demanding to be the center of attention as I build a puzzle.

The best part of all of this is, every now and again, when he thinks no one is looking, Caleb secretly gives Hammy a pat on the head or sneaks him some treats and I know even he likes Hammy.

1 comments:

Christensen family said...

that is so funny. I am working on getting a puppy or a kitten at my house. I think it will work now that we aren't moving all the time.

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers

Powered by Blogger.